Saturday, September 8, 2012

Seward Bound

Alright! So after our full first day north of Anchorage we had a busy second day planned south of Anchorage. We took the recommendations of my dad and decided to drive south. He described it as, "every sight I saw was just like, 'wow, this is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. Wow, This is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. WOW, THIS is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen..." and so on... and we have to say... we agree!
It was a little foggier and cloudier at the beginning of our day.






We didn't see any belugas even though we sang the song :(



We got stuck in traffic for road work at one point... this was our view


Exit Glacier

You can see the run off from the glacier

Our rental car. Just like my dad's car but orange, we forgot to take a picture with it but at least we got a picture of it!


On our hike to Exit Glacier

Getting closer!


Wow! Look at the blue!


Mike had the camera so there are actually some pictures of me!


The glacier is retreating. We could hear the water running down in this part.








You can see the glacier to the left

Mike collecting some glacier water for dad. Sorry to ruin the surprise! I hope it's not illegal...
The marina where we took our "dinner boat cruise" from

Alaska King Crab :)


Our tour boat
Skipping stones




Dahl Porpoises



We saw a whale breech (jump)! We didn't get a picture of it jumping but this is the splash it made!


Humpback whales, we saw a few of them




yes!

Yes!
YES!

This was taken about 10 minutes after the whale jumped, you can see how the water was still different than the rest.

Sea Lions : )


Bald Eagle

 Can you tell that the above is two pictures and not one? I thought it looked better this way though than separate so I'm leaving it that way!
Cute little puffin!

Just swimming along :)


Headed back to the marina

Haha this one just makes me laugh at me so I put it up here. I hope you enjoy it too!


Now that we know what a glacier looks like we can spot them all over!




That water looked so nice and different. The picture doesn't do it justice. I don't know if it was "glacier water" or it was just my mind


One of the "main streets." There are some apartment/hotels and a lot of RV's here. I guess they had some erosion on the coast so they have a lot of RV's because they are easier to move. I think it is more of a little tourist town now.

Racing the clock to get our car back to the car rental place before midnight! You can see how bright it is out at what time... and it stayed light a lot later too!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures!! John & I loved the Kenai and can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete